thin white line


The village of Marchwood has been in existence since Roman times – in fact, some Roman coins were unearthed at Bury Farm, just half an hour from The Pilgrim Inn.

Once part of the parish of Eling, Marchwood became its own ecclesiastical parish in 1843, then later attained civil parish status in 1894. Back then, the ferry from Southampton would land at nearby Cracknore. This landing place has since been replaced by the Hythe Ferry, which links Hythe locals and tourists to the city of Southampton.